Saturday, June 27, 2009

Food Glorious Food.

So since we have been trying to menu plan ahead of time and trying to come up with new things to do cheaper...this is what we ate this weekend.

We picked up pizza dough at the pizza shop nearby ($3.50 per round) and made the filling for these homemade calzones.

Calzone Filling
(makes 4 calzones which requires 2 dough rounds)

1/4 lb deli ham, sliced
1 box frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
3 or 4 spoonfuls of ricotta cheese
a handful of mozzarella cheese

1 egg (mix with water to make egg wash for over top.

Roll the dough out and put the filling on half of it and roll it over. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. I served mine with some jar sauce for dipping.


We had them 2 nights in a row because we had so much stuff leftover to make the filling.

Now on to dessert!

Lemon Ricotta Cookies.

I got this recipe from watching Giada De Laurentis on Food TV. They sounded strange but I had to try 'em. This is the 2nd time I've made them. Yum. Really refreshing. I didn't tell KC what was in them till he tried them first because I kinda had a feeling he wouldn't be into a cookie with ricotta cheese in it, but he loves them now!

  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 lemon, zested

Glaze:

  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 lemon, zested
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs. Add cheese, lemon juice & zest. Then stir in dry ingredients. I sifted my dry ingredients (I always do). Line baking sheets with parchment(these are some sticky suckers) and place them about an inch apart. Use 2 spoons to get them into the best circles you can on the sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 14-15 minutes a batch. Cool on cooling racks.


Mix the glaze ingredients together after the first batch is in the oven. it makes a ton of glaze. When the cookies have come out of the oven and have cooled some (about 20 min) then spoon a little of the glaze on them, it will spread out and drip off. I put mine on the cooling racks with paper towels underneath. Then refrigerate them for a bit to set the glaze.
It makes a ton of cookies! They are really good tho, like a cake almost.

So that was my weekend in food. tomorrow we are eating something much easier than all this homemade stuff, everyone needs a day off sometime.

PS. I start work officially on Tuesday!!!!! Full details once I return!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!