Thursday, May 13, 2010

Random Baking

I have been doing a lot of baking these past few weeks. Not so many with the pictures but baking none the less. 

About a week ago I made these:

Maple Bacon Cupcakes.  I have a love affair with bacon lately and we are getting along just fine. These turned out kinda like a muffin more than a cupcake, or a bread even. They were really flavorful but not exactly what I expected. The frosting also turned out more like a glaze than a frosting, but it was maple-y sweet and added what the cupcake needed. 

FYI I always follow the recipe that I am making the first time (if it isn't my own). I might change these up if I make them again. The hubby liked 'em and agreed they weren't too sweet and had just enough bacon flavor.

Hubby has started a new job, and when they found out that I bake it was all over for him. He has been asked for a week about when I am making peanut butter cookies. So yesterday I decided to make them. The only issue - I had never made them from scratch before.

I ended up spending 4 hours, 2 different recipes and 3 flavors before I had a batch I liked enough to give away. No I don't have control issues, not me. 

The first try on recipe #1 taught me a great lesson...peanut butter cookies spread- A LOT! 
It was one giant cookie. So these have bacon in them. I tried to tell you I have a thing with bacon.... and he loves him some peanut butter cookies too. 

I randomly found this recipe a while ago and wanted to try because generally peanut butter and bacon are a bit odd for a cookie flavor. Turns out they are good friends and hang out well together, albeit a bit squished together on this particular pan. They didn't have too much bacon flavor, just enough to give you a hint of it. 

Then I mixed some choc hips into a bit of the batter because I like peanut butter cups. The batter for the bacon and for the choc chip ones was a weird batter with not much too it. The cookies were good but a bit crunchier than i like in a cookie. 

So onto the next recipe, with a completely different set of ingredients. 

They came out moist and a bit chewy and a bit crunchy at the same time. I made them straight peanut butter and carefully shaped each one and made sure they didn't stick to each other. The results, to me, turned out to be store quality looking cookies, if I do say so myself.

Even I can get behind these cookies and maybe even eat a few. I'm not usually a huge fan of peanut butter cookies.  Hubby took them to work today so for aforementioned co-workers so I'll find out later what they thought. If they didn't like them they are (1) crazy and (2) never getting baked for again. 

On a side note I also made these last week: Cinnamon Sugar Cupcakes . They turned out great! Not too sweet and very cakey, almost like a muffin. I seem to be on the savory cupcake kick. 

Who knows what else I'll make this week...but hopefully I can wait until the cookies and leftover cupcakes are gone to add anything else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!