Friday, May 21, 2010

Blueberry Ricotta Cupcakes

So I have been toying with weird flavors lately, things that seem to not go together but do.  Thus, these cupcakes. This incarnation was inspired by Joy The Baker's Strawberry Ricotta Cupcakes and the fact that I had some blueberries in the fridge that needed using.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup (half a stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 egg 
8 ounces ricotta cheese mixed with 1/4 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon soda
1/2 cup diced blueberries

~Center a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

The batter was creamy and a little wetter than I am used to....
And I was a bit nervous folding in the blueberries that they would masserate and make the dough all blue. They didn't tho, even tho I cut them each in half.

Line a muffin pan with 12 cupcakes papers and set aside.  
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside. 
Dice blueberries and set aside.
Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  
Add the egg and beat for another 1 minute.  
Beat in the vanilla.
Add the ricotta mixture alternately with the flour mixture. Starting and ending with the flour mixture.  
Fold in the blueberries. 
Divide among the 12 muffin tins and bake for 13-17 minutes, or until risen and very lightly browned. 
Remove from the oven and let cool completely before frosting.


They rose up nicely for me, but seemed to not be very golden. I did a finger tap test to see if they were firm and they seemed good after about 17 minutes. The truth is I thought they smelled done and took them out. The nose always knows!
I LOVE that the fruit shows through the muffin cups. They did seem to fall a little once I let them sit for a few, but they tasted fine so I'm sure it was meant to happen (I hope). 
I frosted them with a smidge of vanilla frosting, keeping them flat because I thought they looked neat, and because lately I am just not into heaps of too sweet frosting. 

I decided they were too plain and needed something and I needed to break in my new fondant cutters - so ploka dots it is! Can you spot the hidden mickey's (I am not referring to the plate either)??

The verdict on these after KC & I had one each for dessert last night was - YUM! They are almost like a muffin with a really cool texture from the ricotta. The blueberries tasted so great and knowing there isn't a lot of sugar in these made them even better! I def recommend trying these!!!

On a side note- I was fairly proud of the avocado/pineapple relish I made with dinner, to go over our ham steaks. mmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!