Tuesday, May 18, 2010

1st Musical Monday

So I have a very vast array of musical taste and figured since I am trying to get his blog to be fairly well rounded I want to make a post a week about music. I am hoping in these posts to introduce  people to something new, or something they may never had tried to listen to before. Here goes.

This week's post is going to be about a genre of music: Nerdcore.

WTH is Nerdcore you ask?!?!

 It's something I only recently got into, via my very geeky husband, KC (thanks babe). I asked my husband to sum up Nerdcore in one quick sentence, he said "Music by nerds, for nerds".  I sort of disagree only because I am not exactly a nerd, just "nerd adjacent" to quote one of my favorite people, Wil Wheaton.  Wiki says this about Nerdcore .

The genre is so much bigger than I ever imagined it to be. There are countless artists out there and even more fans. I had no clue! You do have to have a bit of nerdy outlook in order to get the humor of the music but in general the appeal is pretty broad. If you give it a chance it really grows on you. The creativity is amazing, the intelligence in creating these songs and albums is just beyond words. In a lot of ways it parallels with my indy wrestling days, where the independent wrestlers worked so much harder than the mainstream wrestlers because they had to do that much more to get noticed. Same thing applies to Nerdcore artists. These guy (and gals) make this stuff themselves, every last bit of it. They use home studios and home computers, "studios" set up in their homes. They play shows at small dive bars and get a very small percentage of the door cover. The thing is, there is so much talent out there! I am learning all the time about some new Nerdcore artists. There is a huge underground world full of these talented people.

I myself have been to several shows in NY and in Boston, with KC. it's really a great time. people just having fun, without a care in the world. I am really glad I gave it a chance when I did. it's also something really fun KC & I can share.

Some of my favorites include: The Father of Nerdcore, MC Frontalot , Schaffer The Darklord ( I have seen him 3 times now- GREAT shows every time!) &  The Grammar Club (Featuring Shael Riley one of my fav singers in Nerdcore) .

A lot of these guys have free samples and albums so if you think you might enjoy some of it- try it out! It can't hurt right? I hope to get more specific next week, singling out an artist.

You know what they say, "The nerds will inherit the earth"...so be nice to your local nerds. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!