Monday, January 10, 2011

Ginger Cupcakes with Ginger Orange Cream Cheese Frosting

We had bad asian movie night with a few friends last week. Of course I needed to bake something to go with it. Hubby wanted ginger in some form. I did a bit of research and decided on a mix of a few recipes I found. He wanted it to be straight ginger chewy candies so he even stopped in Brooklyn's Chinatown for me after work one day and got me some of these.
Turns out they are a bi&^h to cut into small pieces. It took KC & I 2 days and about an hour each of snipping little pieces of ginger candy into powdered sugar until we had what the recipe called for. Actually we were a bit short because I just couldn't snip anymore.

Ginger Cupcakes.


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup finely chopped candied ginger or ginger candy

1 teaspoon grated ginger root1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 eggs
3/4 cup milk



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Prepare a muffin pan with paper liners. 
In a small bowl, mix together flour, ginger, baking powder and salt. 
In another large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together sugar and butter until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately beat in flour mixture and milk, making three additions of flour mixture and two of milk, beating until smooth. 
Stir in candy.


Bake in preheated oven for 23 to 28 minutes. Took me about 25 min in my oven. 






For the frosting I took my basic cream cheese frosting recipe and added 
1 tbsp grated ginger root
2 tbsp orange zest




They came out much better than I anticipated! The ginger candies melted into the cupcake and made for a really nice flavor, slightly spicy but not overpowered. The frosting cut the spice a bit too. really yummy. So yummy I have been eating them with my morning coffee. Don't judge me. :) 


They went over really well with the friends that came over as well. Oh and the movie we watched RoboGeisha was so bad it was good, esp. with food and friends to share it with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!