Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Cookie Dough Cupcakes & My First Homemade Frosting

Just an FYI- Sorry I haven't been around, I have been sick and on antibiotics for the past 2 weeks and finally feel like a person again, enough to bake. I barely even cooked dinner, we ate a LOT of take out this month. 


This recipe was found by my darling husband, KC @ howtoeatacupcake.net . It was one of the few requests he has ever made for me to bake so yesterday we baked. I finally feel like myself again, and it turned out GOOD!


Chocolate Cupcakes (from MarthaStewart.com)
Makes 12
Ingredients
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole milk

1 package pre-made cookie dough 






Directions 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a standard 12-cup muffin pan, or use paper liners. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; add vanilla, and mix until combined. On low speed, beat in half the flour mixture, followed by milk; end with remaining flour mixture. Mix just until incorporated.


This made a really nice batter, one I am going to hold onto for future chocolate cupcake needs. 





Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter. Place a ball of frozen cookie dough on top of each cup (do not push it in). 





Don't over fill them, like me. I have this problem with over filling cupcakes...I just need to buy another cupcake pan I like and use the darn thing.


Bake until a toothpick inserted near the center of a cupcake (but not in the cookie dough) comes out clean, 22 to 24 minutes. Cool cupcakes in pan, 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.






 They didn't turn out like the picture because of the over fill BUT they were a really cool idea and so I am just gonna have to *twist twist* make them again and fix it. :)

Now for the frosting. I have never made my own before. I have made glazes and creams but for some reason, never frosting. But for my hubby I made some.....and now I'm hooked.



Ingredients:

Makes 1 dozen cupcakes worth.
1 stick unslated butter, softened
4-6 cups Confec sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 tspn vanilla

Directions:
Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 cups of the sugar and then the milk and vanilla. On the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition (about 2 minutes), until the icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency. You may not need to add all of the sugar. 





It came together after 4 cups. And it was YUMMY! KC LOVED it.

So then it was time to play with piping the frosting. I have done it before so it was more what I wanted to do with it, and as you will see I did a few things just to try 'em out.



Kc even frosted a few pretty well for the first time ever frosting. So of course this was dessert last night and I had to take a picture of the inside too.....

Next time the cookie will be all throughout, I promise. And there will be a next time I assure you.

Oh and the leftover break-n-bake cookies...too easy to leave 'em just chocolate ship for me.....


They were yummy for a pre-made/doctored up cookie.

And now if i can only break the addiction to my Kindle and the ease with witch you can get ebooks, I'd be baking and blogging more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!