Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Chicken & Biscuits AND Oatmeal Crisps

So I have been backlogged with the stuff I have been baking and cooking for posting, so much so that I never took any pictures of the most recent things I made BUT they both turned out so good I want to share the recipes anyway!!!

Chicken & Biscuits


Ingredients:



  • 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour, spooned and leveled

  • 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled

  • 1 teaspoon baking powder

  • Coarse salt and ground pepper

  • 1 large egg white

  • 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil

  • 1 cup low-fat (1 percent) milk

  • 5 carrots, thinly sliced

  • 5 celery stalks, thinly sliced

  • 1 box (10 ounces) frozen pearl onions, thawed

  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces


  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together whole-wheat flour, 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together egg white, 3 tablespoons oil, and 1/4 cup milk; add to flour mixture, and stir until moistened. Drop four 1/4-cup scoops of dough onto a baking sheet, at least 2 inches apart. Bake until golden, 12 to 14 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, in a 5-quart Dutch oven or large heavy pot, heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Add carrots, celery, and onions; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
  4. Sprinkle vegetables with remaining 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour; stir in remaining 3/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup water, and thyme. Simmer until liquid is thickened, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes. Add chicken; simmer until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve chicken stew with biscuits.
Things I changed or added......

I sprinkled the chicken with poultry seasoning before cooking. 
I added a couple of spoons of already chopped garlic to the veggies.
I used a jar or small onions because the supermarket was out of frozen pearls.

I think this came our really good, very tasty and filling. We did eat 2 biscuits each tho so the next day we had the leftovers for lunch and I made more biscuits. 

I plan to make the biscuit recipe a staple- it was so easy and so easy to flavor up and change it. KC like the 2nd batch of biscuits better because I used all white flour (he isn't that into whole wheat) but they were both yummy. 

Dessert was Oatmeal Crisps

  • 4 tablespoons softened unsalted butter

  • 3 tablespoons sugar

  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • 2/3 cup rolled oats
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees; line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, mix butter, sugar, flour, vanilla extract, and salt until smooth; mix in rolled oats.
  2. Drop firmly packed teaspoons of dough, 2 inches apart, onto baking sheets. Bake until golden, rotating sheets halfway through, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on sheet 1 minute;  transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

These were really good! Maybe a bit salty. I ended up adding too much sugar so I doubled the recipe right off the bat, and it barely made any, so it was a good mess up. 

I couldn't get over how simple this was and thats why I wanted to try it. That and the fact that it didn't have tons of sugar in it. I plan to enjoy them again this evening for dessert with a nice cappuccino. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!